You may have heard the breaking news about author, Amanda Hocking. (If not, here’s the link.) When I first heard that she’d sold a million e-books, and it was clear the media and the publishing-erati were pouncing on her, my first thought was, “I hope she’s ready for this.”
I did not know her background or her track record, and I’ve still not done much research on her climb from unknown writer to self-publishing success story.
But I get the picture–and it’s always the same picture, folks–her success did not happen overnight.
Here’s what I notice about Amanda Hocking that makes her a great example for the rest of us:
1. She’s doing a good job keeping her wits about her.
2. She’s setting any confused perceptions straight in real time.
3. She’s not taking sides between traditional publishing and self-publishing.
4. She’s not acting like a victim of the hype.
5. She’s talking sense and encouraging others to be sensible, too.
In short, she’s responding. She’s broadcasting her side of the story. She’s reminding us all that rewards come to those who work hard and are patient.
I wish her all the best with her well-deserved success.