Today is my turn to be the featured author and I’m giving away my entire collection of books and e-books—as well as a Writer Mama bumper sticker—to one lucky winner.
Introducing Christina Katz
Christina Katz, AKA The Writer Mama and The Prosperous Writer, is the author of three books from Writer’s Digest: The Writer’s Workout, Get Known Before the Book Deal, and Writer Mama. Her writing career tips and parenting advice appear regularly in national, regional, and online publications.
A “gentle taskmaster” over the past decade to over a thousand writers, Christina’s students go from unpublished to published, build professional writing career skills, and increase their creative confidence over time. She holds an MFA in creative writing from Columbia College Chicago and a BA in English from Dartmouth College.
Known as a champion of mom writers, Christina is a popular speaker on creative career growth and writer prosperity. She keynotes for writing conferences, literary events, MFA writing programs, and libraries. She lives near Wilsonville, Oregon with her husband, her daughter, and far too many pets.
Learn about The Art Of Making Time For Yourself, Inspiration For Moms
This e-book makes a great gift for a mom-to-be or a new mom, for a mom who is choosing to stay home with her kids, or for a mom who is trying to juggle work and home life, for a WAHM, and even for a veteran mom with kids in school or leaving the nest.
Moms who read this book will gain:
- Inspired ideas for creating more you-time
- Multiple approaches to finding time no matter much time you have
- Enduring, encouraging advice about the benefits of taking better care of yourself
- A clear understanding of the meanings of self-love and deservingness
- Less admiration for self-martyrdom and more admiration for self-care
- A complete list of resources to inspire self-care
- A questionnaire to encourage you to take more time for you
Written expressly for moms, this e-book collection is written in short, inspirational selections.
Learn about Write For Regional Parenting Publications For Fun & Profit!
- An overview of how the process of writing for and earning from regional parenting publications works
- Complete how-to instructions for writing for and mass-submitting to regional parenting publications
- Insights into what sets successful RPP writers apart from those who don’t succeed
- A clear understanding of what it takes to create and maintain a writing business
- A better understanding of what professional writing looks like in day-to-day terms
- A whole new respect for hardworking parent writers
Written expressly for busy parents, this e-book guide is written in short, instructional chapters like a mini-workbook. Readers who follow the advice in this e-book will find themselves successfully writing and submitting articles to regional parenting publication editors in a professional manner.
Learn about The Writer’s Workout, 366 Tips, Tasks and Techniques From Your Writing Career Coach
In the age of information overload, writers need the ability to focus and feel satisfied at the keyboard on a daily basis. The Writer’s Workout greets you each day of the year with fresh advice that helps writers coach themselves to produce an impressive body of published work, whether in print or online.
You’ll learn manageable, no-nonsense techniques for every aspect of your writing career from getting organized to connecting with your audience to relationship building.
The Writer’s Workout contains 366 tips for writers in every genre on how to:
- Make your writing as strong and powerful as possible.
- Pitch and sell your work at every opportunity.
- Overcome rejection to come back better than ever.
- Promote your work and build an audience.
- Learn how to balance your creative life with your daily life.
Veteran writing coach Christina Katz draws on her knowledge from more than a decade in the business.
With her no-more-excuses wisdom, you’ll find your stride and motivate yourself to career-long publishing success.
The Writer’s Workout gives you substantial suggestions every day to help you build a robust, unique writing career.
Learn about Discover Your Platform Potential, A Self-study Author Platform Workbook
Learn the keys to:
- Uncovering your strengths
- Making you and your work visible
- Promoting your work authentically
- Connecting with readers
- Creating a lasting, profitable platform
- Finding your niche
- Understanding your unique platform dynamic
This workbook contains:
- Lessons that summarize key platform strategies
- Field trips to explore what others are doing
- Brainstorming exercises to help you consider your options
- Key considerations that will save you time and money
- Reading assignments
- Writing assignments
Finish the workbook in eight weeks, eight days, or eight hours! It’s up to you.
Learn about Author Mama, How I Became A Published Author & How You Can Too!
Have you ever wondered if you have what it takes to become a published author?
What would the process be like?
What are the steps?
What do publishers do for authors?
How long would it take from start to finish?
Can you make any decent money?
Should you self-publish or traditionally publish?
Now you can find out the answers to these questions and more when you order my e-book, Author Mama, right here.
In Author Mama, I share my personal experience walking through the traditional book-deal process and book-writing experience and offer tips along the way, addressing common myths and challenging writers to get ready for the marathon that is writing a book.
Learn about Get Known Before The Book Deal, Use Your Personal Strengths To Grow An Author Platform
Before you can land a book deal—before you can even attract the interest of agents and editors—you need to be visible. How do you become visible? You develop a platform, or a way of reaching your readers. Everybody can develop a platform, and this book shows you how to do it while you’re still writing.
This book offers:
- A step-by-step approach to creating, growing, and nurturing a platform
- An economical approach to self-promotion (no need to spend thousands)
- A clear way to uncover your strengths and weaknesses as an author
- The strategies that are essential (or not) to online promotion
- A philosophy of authorship that leaves you confident, empowered, and equally partnered with agents, editors, and publishers (instead of waiting to be discovered)
- A diverse set of tools and methods for getting known (not just web-based tools or ideas for extroverts)
After you read this book, you’ll be able to answer the inevitable question: What’s your platform?” You’ll learn the hows and whys of becoming visible and how to cultivate visibility from scratch. Best of all, you won’t need any previous knowledge or experience to get started.
Growing a writing career isn’t just about landing one book deal and then scrambling like crazy. There is a more strategic and steady way to lay the groundwork so you can avoid scrambling altogether—and Get Known Before the Book Deal is the only comprehensive book that shows you how.
Learn about Writer Mama, How To Raise A Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
As a mom, you want to spend as much time with your children as possible. But you’d also like to make some money doing something you enjoy. How do you get the best of both worlds? Writer Mama by experienced freelancer Christina Katz tells you how. You can start a stay-at-home freelance writing career tailored to fit your family and lifestyle.
Writer Mama will answer all your questions about how to get started, in realistic, easy-to-follow steps. While conversational and easy-to-read, this book also does a lot of hard work for you. It gives you practical advice and exercises that help you get started in a matter of weeks. You’ll get tips on how to:
- begin with the easiest routes to publication for moms
- network with other writer mamas, editors, and agents
- write cover letters and queries
- choose your own writing specialty
- create a web presence
- set up a home office
- make time for yourself, your kids, and your writing
You’ll love the short chapters, sidebars, and exercises that let you get the information you need in small doses that fit into your busy schedule. Plus this book was written to grow with you. Once you master the skills of being an article writer, it teaches you how to pitch a nonfiction book idea and explore other areas of writing.
I asked myself three questions about our giveaway’s theme topic, self-expression:
1. Is self-expression an important part of your life today, why or why not?
Since I am the one who came up with these questions, I am sure it will surprise no one that self-expression IS important to me. I feel like self-expression is the central force in my life and my family’s life and my work life, although I can’t say that it has always come naturally or easily. Maybe this is why I feel like I never tire of the topic and maybe this is also why I chose self-expression as the theme topic of this month-long giveaway. Self-expression is where the joy is, for me.
2. What does self-expression mean to you and how do you do it in the world?
I believe that each person on this planet is brimming with wisdom for the collective, but our biggest challenge is getting that wisdom out and sharing it with each other. I feel like the best way to serve the whole is for each individual to find productive methods communicating. My primary form of self-expression is writing. I also enjoy teaching, pitching, coaching, blogging, publishing, and encouraging others.
Obviously there are many ways to express yourself. I find that restocking the creative pond is an important part of self-expression for me. So a lot of what you will find me doing when it doesn’t seem like I am doing anything in particular relates to connecting with my deepest instincts, unlearning whatever it is time to unlearn, and heading for the nearest hot-spring spa for a soak and a massage. For pleasure, I enjoy reading, singing, acting, decorating, antiquing, gardening, collaging, flower arranging, and hanging out with my family. I also like watching funny sitcoms and romantic comedies.
3. How does your self-expression impact the world—your family, your friends, your readers, and everyone else?
I have learned to stop caring so much about how others respond to me and to instead pay more attention to what wants to happen next. When I listen to myself, and trust my instincts, I feel like I can’t go wrong. I try to encourage others to follow their inner lead, as well, not just to follow my lead.
After all of these years teaching, I feel like I have some pretty good techniques up my sleeves, and when I do my best work, I feel like it works for all of us, and that includes me, too.
Like everyone, my story is constantly evolving and unfolding and I’m always making adjustments as I go along. I find that when I focus on making good things happen, they do. If I can free myself a little more each day, then I can help others do the same. And that’s good enough for me.
And Now, Your Turn…
You remember how this works right?
I ask you a question.
You answer in the comments for your chance to win a book each day.
Please just respond once, even if you make a typo.
Answer in the comments in 50-200 words (no less and no more to qualify to win one of today’s books).
Are you confidently creative? Why or why not? What would you create if you had no fear? What do you dare to do with your creativity? And who do you serve?
Ready, set, comment! I will hold the drawing tomorrow and post the results here in my blog.
Thanks for participating in the Writer Mama Every-Day-In-May Book Giveaway!
And thanks for spreading the word. We will be giving away great books by wonderful women authors all month.